To hire an SEO is a big decision and should be taken after analyzing all options wisely. You need to check following things before hire an SEO agency.
1. Check if their website is ranking in Google for their primary keywords. SEO is a very profitable business, meaning there’s a lot of competition, making it difficult to rank for keywords such as “SEO company” or “SEO company in San Diego”, etc. If the SEO firm you are about to choose is ranking on the first page for these keywords, that’s a good sign.
2. Ask your SEO questions to understand the strategy they plan to use. These are some questions you can ask to them:
- Can you give examples of previous work and share your success stories?
- Was any of the websites you’ve optimized ever been penalized by Google?
- Do you have experience in my industry/country/city?
- What are the most important techniques and strategies you want to use for my website?
- How do you measure success and when do you think we’ll start to see results?
- Will you follow Google’s guidelines?
- Can you show me a report sample?
If they refuse to answer your questions, and they are hesitant to share examples of their previous work, don’t waste your time any longer.
3. Stop any further conversation of collaboration if you notice your SEO is building backlinks that are against Google Webmaster Guidelines. The quality of your website’s backlinks will often make the difference between success and failure.