What is Ecommerce Platforms?
An eCommerce platform is software that allows you to create and manage an online store. But finding the best ecommerce software isn’t always easy. The online retail industry is a highly competitive space, and that includes the ecommerce platforms that power them. The market has flooded with hundreds of different eCommerce solutions of all types and sizes.
Top 5 Best Ecommerce Platforms
- Shopify: Shopify is one of the best ecommerce platforms for beginners and small=to-medium size businesses that need their hands held when setting up their store. Everything you need is already integrated into the platform: from storefront design to content marketing to performance analytics. Once you have the basics set up, it’s a simple matter to upgrade your store with third-party extensions–or even change the shop’s code itself. It offers you 14-day free trial and no credit card required.
- Bigcommerce: BigCommerce provides merchants sophisticated enterprise-grade functionality, customization and performance with simplicity and ease-of-use. You can use BigCommerce to create beautiful and engaging online stores. BigCommerce is best for SMBs & MM who require a lot from their ecommerce platform with large or complex catalogs. BigCommerce includes a lot of features out of the box and like other platforms allows for the platform to be extended with third-party applications. BigCommerce also supports both B2C and B2B businesses on the same platform.
- Magento: Magento is one of the most powerful ecommerce platforms in the market, but at the cost of a steep learning curve. If you don’t have the budget to hire your own Magento developer, everything you do in your Magento store will be self-taught. It is one of the most popular open-source ecommerce platforms in the world.
- WooCommerce: It is a free, open-source WordPress shopping cart plugin owned and developed by WordPress. It is one of the most popular eCommerce option on the market and runs on approx 30% of all stores on the internet. It is best for small businesses that already have a site on WordPress, or who operate on a tight budget but still want a robust online store. It has thousands of third-party themes and plugins.
- Squarespace: It is a New York-based Software-as-a-Service company that provides website and ecommerce store building and hosting to customers. SquareSpace has one of the easiest design interfaces in the market. It’s a breeze to assemble and modify your eCommerce platform no matter your experience level. However, there aren’t many add-ons available in the default builder, and there is no app store for third-party extensions which will limit the functionality of your eCommerce site.