Every month of every year Google makes hundreds of updates and changes and I’m not going to talk about all of them. It is because in this article I will only focus upon featured snippets updates which Google has made two times till now. Let’s have a look at the first update which Google made in Feature snippets:
– In January, Google made the first change in featured snippets confirming that the webpage shown in Google’s featured snippets will no longer appear on page one of the SERPs a second time. (you can also read my article particularly written on this update)
– Now the second or recent change made in March is that Google has stopped displaying all top right featured snippets.
Why Google did so? What was its purpose? Was this change necessary for Google? All of your questions will be answered in this article only. So be here and read the article till the end.
Why Google stopped displaying all top right featured snippets?
In the mid of March, Google confirmed that it will virtually stop showing featured snippets in the top right position of the search results page. However, there are some exceptions in most parts but virtually in all the cases Google is no longer displaying the top right featured snippets. In the light, if this second update, Google said that they would end up doing this back in January when it began deduplicating the featured snippets.
From the RankRanger tool, Mordy Oberstein showed that it has picked up zero of them in the past couple of days. It simply means featured snippets are no longer being visible on Google.
Did you know what the work of featured snippets was?
Featured snippets’ work was to show listing where the snippet will describe the page is all about. Google would show featured snippets when the system determines that this will help people more easily discover what they’re seeking. They will get the description of the page and can click on the link to read the page itself. These featured snippets are usually helpful for mobile users who search by voice.
Earlier featured snippets would appear more than once in the listing on SERPs but after January update this duplication got erased from Google and started appearing one time only. But with this March update, featured snippets have been totally removed from Google.
Let’s read the policies of featured snippets given below
- The first policy of featured snippet is that it should not denigrate, insult nor promote or condone violence against an individual on the basis of race, religion, color, caste, disability, age, nationality, veteran status, gender identity, characteristics associated with discrimination and marginalization.
- Another policy is that featured snippet shouldn’t glorify violence or violent material published for the sake of disgusting others.
- Next is an inappropriate sexually explicit or vulgar language out of search topic should not display.
- Featured snippets shouldn’t promote dangerous or harmful goods and services nor provide information in a way that would lead to serious or immediate harm or mutilation.
Google is the search engine giant which always thinks about users and their experience. If Google takes any decision to change or update anything, it only does this after concerning users so that it can enhance their search experience. So this time also Google’s intention would be pure to not displaying the featured snippets in the search results.
If any clarification Google provides on Featured snippets, I will let you know. For more updates get in touch with us, till then keep reading my articles.